Whenever I bake cupcakes for the kids' birthday parties, my husband always stuffs the inside with extra frosting...well, this time, I was determined to make them so moist, he wouldn't need to do that, and I finally succeeded! Serendipitously, I also perfected my signature frosting :)
1 18oz Box Pillsbury Moist Supreme Strawberry Cake Mix
6oz Strawberry Jell-O (big box)
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup half and half
1/4 cup strawberry jam
8 oz cream cheese, softened
8 oz butter, softened
1-2 cups powdered sugar (to taste)
2 t vanilla
2 T half and half
2-3 drops red food coloring (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In a large bowl, combine all the cupcake ingredients with a mixer until smooth (2-5 minutes).
3. Fill cupcake liners in muffin tin about 3/4 full (I used a 1/4 cup scoop).
4. Bake for 20 minutes or until done.
5. Repeat. You may have batter leftover (I froze it).
6. To make the frosting: combine all ingredients with a mixer until smooth.
7. Just before serving, frost cupcakes.
Optional toppings: sprinkles, shredded coconut, blueberries, morello cherries
*Keep unfrosted cupcakes in an airtight container on the counter - frosted ones should go in the fridge if they are being stored for overnight.
**Disclaimer: I'm not much for measuring, so amounts are approximates - adjust as needed.